Congratulations Royal Oak Middle School … you became a symbol of racism, hatred, and bigotry nationwide.
Make me Dean of Students for two weeks and I will straighten it out for you.
Here is what I would do:
1. An assembly every Friday on inclusiveness and tolerance and coexistence.
2. Investigate the incidence and put every chanting student on probation for racial harassment, and require them to attend anti bullying sessions with Social Worker/Counselor.
3. Twin the school with a Mexican school and offer Spanish classes immediately.
4. Announce November as a Latino American heritage month ( in addition to Sept 15-Oct 15 National Hispanic Heritage Month)
5. Bring Immigrant speakers as guest speakers to classrooms.
6. Plan a trip to Mexico for my Senior class.
7. Coordinate with Hispanic local organizations, ACLU, and the Mexican Embassy to bring programs to school to facilitate understanding.